Thursday, June 11, 2009

SAE BAI DI!!!

Wow, I dont even know where to start about the last week. The day of my last update was an extremely rough day. We got a van ride to a small town and then when we got there they didnt have any more rooms left and they really werent keen on foreigners staying there anyway. But the bus was coming through at midnight so we hung out until the bus came at 3am. (the culture here is very event based not time based so its a weird transition from American culture) The bus was NASTY!!!! It was the middle of the night, we were exhausted, we all needed a shower, and quit frankly we all wanted to go home at some point during that bus ride! We finally arrived in our destination at 10am. We immediately showered and ate lunch. That made us feel a little better. This town was very nice. The people were so sweet and the food was good. (different but good) Father lead us to an English teacher who helped us out sooooo much!! We spent a couple days here then we took another bus to another place and booked a trek with an English speaker.

We then got on another bus to another town and the next day we set off on our trek! About an hour into the trek one of the girls decided that she was not going to make it so the 2 other girls went back to the guesthouse and stayed while me and the guys went on the 3 day trek! That trek was the hardest thing Ive ever done. We walked through many rice fields, over mountains, through the jungle, through mud. Then went done the other side of the mountain and I slide the whole way down. It was a very difficult day. But as soon as we got to the village it was worth it. We were the first foreigners that had EVER been to the village so everyone was staring at us and all the kids followed us wherever we went. It was a weird feeling! We played frisbee with them and I handed out stickers! It was awesome! We had dinner at the "elders" home and they were very inviting and so hospitable! We were sitting in the room talking with our translator/guide and all the sudden a guy brought a dead chicken into the room and we then knew what we were having for dinner. haha. About half way through the meal "the elder" went to the fire picked up something with his chopsticks and brought it back to the table and offered it to me to eat. It would have been extremely rude for me to decline it so I PRed that Father would keep me from gagging and I downed it. I smiled at him and thanked him, but it was disgusting!! We have our guesses as to what exactly it was but we arent sure. (dont worry the guys got to share one and I had to eat a whole one!)

The next few days were amazing! All the villages we visited we were the first foreigners so we kinda felt like rock stars. The kids loved us, but they were scared of us at first. Father was so faithful in giving us strength and endurance! Our guide, Son Chan, showed Glenn and I how to fish with a net. It was a lot of fun. I caught a couple, but Glenn caught like 5 in one throw! Yesterday, we trekked for 4 or 5 hours back to where the 2 girls were staying! It was so good to see them! I was needin some estrogen. All the women that I meet in villages I couldnt really communicate with so I was in desperate need of some females! haha!

We are almost done witht the first leg of our trip. Its so hard to believe! We are on our way back to where the Ms are right now its a 3 day trip to get back there. We are traveling by river all the way back. We should get back either on the 15th or the 16th and thats when Ill have internet again! (and yes i do realize thats my birthday and we are already planning on getting a cake!!) We are going to rest up and get some sustainable food for a few days and then head out again!

Kop Jai Lai Lai for all of your PRs!! I really have felt them over the past week! Continue PRing for perserverance since we are coming up on halftime! I cant wait to hear whats goin on back in America! I especially want to know how the Azams made it at the lake! And if Brady rocked the slalom!!! haha!!!

I love you all very very very much!!!!

11 comments:

  1. Oh Katy...I just want to cry reading your entry. I am so proud of you for allowing Father to do so much amazing work through you! We will definitely keep Pring for you...
    I bet you were in need of some girls when you got back! Wow! I can't even imagine what you went through. I'm so glad that you guys found those villages...how amazing that you were the first foreigners these people have ever met! I can't even fathom that!
    We are Pring for you. We miss you and love you so much!
    The lake was fun! Brady loved the boat but hated the water (it was a little cold). And David tried really hard to wake board...maybe next year. It seemed really hard. We did have an incident with Brady's Little Swimmer...needless to say your mom thought it was Dr. Pepper...but it wasn't...and David ended up dunking Brady's naked booty in the Lake! :)
    Love you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say Katy Mo, you are a beast with the heart of a Lion. A Lion-Beast if you will. It's crazy to hear that there are villages out there that have yet to see the fair-skin and bright eyes of foreigners (unless of course you happen to be me, then it kind of works in reverse). You would be the one lady to trek it with the guy, I feel like toughness is apart of your gift-set. You would make a fine bush women. I will continue to keep you cats in PR and you continue to take those showers.

    Love. Peace. Chicken Grease

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy, I'm soooo proud of you! What a trouper you are! I can't wait to hear all about it first hand, and to find out what, in fact, you ate??? I PR for you always, I even wake up in the middle of the night and PR for you, Father is doing that I'm sure when you need it the most, since our middle of the night is your daytime. I'm sure he woke me while you were on your trek so I could PR for you to have strength and endurance as that was one PR I kept PRing over and over!

    I'm at freshman orientation with Kass right now in Lubbock. I'm using a computer in the sub. Kass is registering for classes at the moment and you are missed so much. There are so many things we could ask you right now, we need advice! Anyway, I'm sure it will all work out one way or the other, we can always go back and change her schedule later if we need to.

    I love you more than words could ever express and you are always in my thoughts and PR!
    Mom
    PS Your sister is officially a Red Raider as of today!!!! WOOHOO!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok...seriously Katy you are one lucky girl to have a mama like that! I know you'll cry when you read her comments like I did. I hope I can be such a good mama to Brady someday. Praying for you and loving you so much.

    Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katy, your blog is SO amazingly encouraging. It's added to my reading list. You are doing great things for God!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katy, it's Sunday the 14th here and I'm still at the lake, (Ricky has his laptop and we were able to get service)it's already the 15th over there so let me be the first to wish you a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope you are having an amazing 21st birthday! We are all thinking and PRing for you today!
    Love,
    Mom

    Happy b-day! Love, Kelton,and cade.

    Hey there stranger! i miss you like a fat kid misses cake!! (maybe a little more) i hope you are having the time of your life and the best birthday! The Holman clan is PRing for you and they all miss you! I love you sooo much and have an awesome birthday! I will see you in 40 days!
    Love you more than you know,
    Kassidy

    Hey Katy, It's Colby. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope you are having a great time...What an amazing experience! We all wish you were here but we are so proud of you and what you are doing. I hope you enjoy your birthday and remember all of the PR you have heading your way. Can't wait to see you and hear about everything.

    Love, The Chesshire Family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kaitlyn,
    What amazing things God is accomplishing through you and your team! Thank you for your adventurous, trusting spirit to allow God to do His work! I continue to follow your journey and pray for you!
    Love,
    D. Clifton

    ReplyDelete
  8. School is finally out, and I have time to read about your journey. I haven't been reading, but have been PRing. It's so cool what you are doing. I can't wait to see your photo's and learn about all the people you have met. I PR that you meet lots of little ones who will always remember the day that a tall, strawberry blond wandered into their village, and that they will remember the special love that she had and wonder where it came from. You are planting seeds of our Father's love. Raylene and I are at the lake -- we miss you but, know that your journey has a higher purpose and a long lasting impact on those you encounter. Be SALTY!!! Happy Birthday from Raylene and Renee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there Miss Katy Ka.loo! Wow! what an inspiration you are! We missed you at the lake, but understand the calling that our Father has placed upon your life. The seeds that you are planting are so much more important and you will be greatly rewarded. If you have half the impact on those that you meet as you do with us you will leave lots more seed planters there!!! Remember the words,"If you eat any deadly thing it shall not harm you" LOL! Really, that's what it says!.The Pecks PR for you daily.Love, Carl, Sue, Terry, Kristy, Quinci, Andrew,Stormi, Shannon, Ross, Bailee, Alli, Delanie, Melanie, Glenn,and, Bree!!! See you in a few!!!!! Love you Lots, Silly Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kaitlyn

    Happy Birthday.. I'm home alone on your birthday so I'm having chineze food, sweet and sour chicken with chips and green chilie dip(sweet)!! Everbody in town reads this blog and everyone asks me about you and your adventure. I check this blog 20 times a day looking for a new post. I don't pretend to understand what you are doing over there but I also know that it is imporant to you and the people you encouter. I have to give you credit you don't give up. The next time the girls dont go you need to stay with them(fat chance of that). I had to say that you would have been dispointed if I didn't. Anyway now that I know how to blog I will be leaving you more good advice(lol). When you get back I will take you out for a big texas steak.

    FAITHFULLY SUBMITTED
    DAD
    P.S. Your mother and I are VERY proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Katy, Its late but HAPPY BIRTHDAY! What a way to celebrate your 21st. To think what most people do on their 21st and compare to what you are doing. Well there is no comparison. You are fantastic. No one can do what you are doing without the clear voice of the Father.

    I think we need to have another reunion when you get home. All of us want to see you and be able to hear all about your journey!!!!

    Love ya bunches, Darline and Rickey

    ReplyDelete